Victorian Steampunk Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whitby Gothic Weekend

+12
Lady Ruff-Diamond
Capt Chard
Professor Gaslight
Enter The Asylum
Sir Ninian Marsh
Grumfoss
Lady Georgina Marsh
Emilly Ladybird
Steamblast Mary
Lady M
Lady Mimsy Beaucoup
Admin
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Whitby Gothic Weekend Empty Whitby Gothic Weekend

Post  Admin Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:14 am

We have been approached with regard to creating a Steampunk focus at Whitby during nex April's goth weekend. This could include a venue for steampunk stalls, a bar/social/drop in centre and some steampunk bands playing on Friday and Saturday evenings. People's thoughts would be very welcome.

Last edited by Admin on Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

https://thevss.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Whitby Gothic Weekend Empty Re: Whitby Gothic Weekend

Post  Lady Mimsy Beaucoup Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:27 pm

I think it is a wonderful idea. I may even be persuaded to drive up for the evening if I could find a two night stay in a B and B (not easy in Whitby). Being a teacher I can never get the Friday off work! So I had stopped going to the April WGW unfortunately.

Whilst I appreciate the need for decorum and fair play with each 'side' of the whitby event, there is nothing about this that threatens the main event. Those into the goth bands will go to the spa and those into the more steampunk side will make the decision based on thier personal choice.

I will watch this thread with interest Smile
Lady Mimsy Beaucoup
Lady Mimsy Beaucoup

http://www.littlepinkfaery.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady M Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:36 pm

I really hope that both parties can see that this addition would be to the benefit of the weekend as a whole. I have never bought a Spa ticket, but have been for many years, I just do other things, so the addition of a SP element would be most welcome.

If it does go ahead would love a trade stand please Major! Rolling Eyes
Lady M
Lady M

http://www.spacecentre.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Steamblast Mary Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:04 pm

A drop-in centre for the foot-weary- splendid. A social event- tremendous (perhaps somewhere that serves tea and cake during the day so families may participate and a hostelry for more intoxicating liquid refreshment in the evening?) SP bands- TOP HOLE! We need more emphasis on live music, it's too important to allow to fall by the wayside.

The only aspect of the proposal I have reservations about is the idea of a separate space for SP stalls, as there's already an increasing overlap between the many of the traders' wares as they expand their range to include more items of a Steampunk nature. It also runs the risk of being interpreted as steampunks deliberately setting themselves apart from the Goths, a perception no-one will benefit from.

Besides, if everything was in one place, when will we possibly get chance to go promenading and show off our magnificent outfits??

NB where's the spellcheck?

Steamblast Mary

Back to top Go down

Post  Emilly Ladybird Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:20 pm

hmmm, I used to trade at whitby many years ago and found most goths unresponsive to buying anything that wasn't black. I didn't notice much in the way of "crossover either - just alchemy jewellery and some sweet top hats....

Both Lyssa and I comented on the lack of WOW stalls on our return this year (after a ten year absence) Without wanting to go all nostalgic, I remember when there were loads of unusual couture outfitters and vintage clothing suppliers as well as silversmiths and unusual shoe manufacturers....

This year I thought about it but I was quoted a substantial amount to have a trade stall and decided it wasn't really worth it - I think it was a good decision, anyone who wants my wares can now buy on-line or at the Asylum. I really enjoyed being a "punter" this time round and I'm not sure there'd be enough steamers with money in their pockets to make it worth my while - but I don't think I'd bother with a Spa ticket again either - there seemed to be much more peripheral events and excursians to my taste.

We so wanted to join the steam train fun, but had run out of cash by then Wink
Emilly Ladybird
Emilly Ladybird

http://www.steampunkjewellery.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:30 pm

The venue that has been offered is the Rifle Club. This is across the carpark from the Leisure Centre (The main trading venue) and just a short walk from the Spa and Met. The idea is to offer a very low cost stall to potential traders to encourage them to exhibit their wares at Whitby - to encourage more hand makers. It does not stop steampunks perusing the rest of the stalls. Potential goth traders could also be placed there since there is not enough space in the Leisure Centre anyway.

My main concern is being seen as divisive and inviting criticism particularly since I am likely to be the one who has to face the flak personally. Much as I love you guys on such as this it is my neck that gets stuck in the noose. I hate and despise politics - this was the main reason I didn't trade WGW this All Hallows - but I can see the benefits for both steampunks and WGW as a whole if we were to go ahead with this. I can only hope that some of the goths could see it that way. Remember this is not us trying to muscle in - this is an invitation from one fo the two sides in the current scrum.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Emilly Ladybird Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:35 pm

That sounds a good venue, Ok, I could be tempted to trade ;0
Might I suggest keeping the steampunk trading to just one day so the stall holders have a chance to enjoy the bracing sea air too? More craftsmen and unusual traders would be a very nice addition to the festival.
Emilly Ladybird
Emilly Ladybird

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:49 pm

Thanks Jema your constructive comments are very much appreciated as indeed are all of your comments but of course you all know that already. We may not always agree with every comment but we do always try and listen and it helps with the difficult decision making. What a Face

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Georgina Marsh Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:59 am

As I said at the weekend when you were originally approached Tinker, I think this is a tip top idea! Cool

I realise there may be some concerns that if the SP society had a separate venue it could come under critisism for being segregated... however, the very fact that the organisers have invited a more 'official' attendance I would say is fantastic and welcoming in itself. Very Happy

On the other side, there has been occassions that traditional goths simply don't like the Steampunkers, as we wear colours other than the traditional blacks, dark greens, purples, blues and reds... we're not classed as 'goths' and therefore shouldn't attend... In which case, having an element of 'separation' means that if those who are more traditional prefer to stay clear, they have the option, but those who are intrigued or interested, can come along, take a good look and be welcomed with open arms! cheers

I also believe that we're only 'adding' to the proceedings with an additional venue, rather than taking anything away from the WGW event as a whole. There will always be a mix of stands all over the town, giving the opportunity for all to promenade. Wink However, the fringe events are becoming more frequent and larger, so I think this is just an additional option for people. Very Happy I'm sure there won't be any rules that it's for 'real steampunkers only' and therefore anybody would be welcome to attend if they're interested. Similar to the drop ins and tea party this time, they were advertised in the Almanac for anybody to visit.

They did have stalls and events on at the Rifle club once before (it was vintage stalls and burlesque shows if I remember correctly), but have never had anything there since... which I've always felt was a shame and a disapointment. Now we've got the chance to make the SP element (which is naturally increasing - did you see how much brown, brass and leather there was around!!??) bigger, better and brighter! Very Happy
Lady Georgina Marsh
Lady Georgina Marsh

Back to top Go down

Post  Grumfoss Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:57 am

Hell one and all,

Just a little question, is this to be taking the place of the proposed Easter Asylum event?

The reason I ask this is that I am not a Whitby attendee and I believe that there is a lack of accomodation space within Whitby as most of the decent rooms are probably already booked up (Please correct me if i'm wrong here). I do think that if this is to take the place of the proposed Easter Asylum convivial it may stop a lot of non-goth steampunks from attending.

Just my 2p's worth

Grum
Grumfoss
Grumfoss
Admin

http://royaldirigiblecorps.yolasite.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady M Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:48 am

I have to agree with Lady Emily, as in the lack of interesting stalls at WGW recently. We have been attending for a number of years and almost fell over ourselves when we saw Empires Ghost in the Royal, for the first time a new and interesting trader.

Steampunk is popular and we had many people ask us about it this weekend and even more photographs than normal, we have also extended our little group by participating in a bit of Steampunk Outreach!

Due to the growing interest in the "genre" I think it right that there is more of an organised participation in Goth Weekend and it is even more appropriate that the people at the core of the true fanbase run it, namely you Major!

I have to agree on the politics side, but with both parties coming to an agreement on dates, maybe there is light at the end of this very black tunnel.

Consider the fact that certain venues are unofficially already tied to a Goth group, this is only the natural evolution of WGW and I am sure that given our focus on ensuring things are done in a certain fashion this is just how it should be.
Lady M
Lady M

http://www.spacecentre.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Ninian Marsh Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:42 am

Grumfoss wrote:Hell one and all,

Just a little question, is this to be taking the place of the proposed Easter Asylum event?

Grum

Greetings Grumfoss! No the Easter WGW is in additional to the (potential?) Asylum event in April.

WGW does get very busy and it's advisable that if you wish to attend in April you book your accomodation now.
Sir Ninian Marsh
Sir Ninian Marsh

http://www.discombobulous-workshop.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Whitby Gothic Weekend Empty whitby

Post  Enter The Asylum Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:18 am

Hi guys
I Have been talking with Tink about having a SP Meeting group and i think to be able to have small trade stalls (at low cost) with guys making very unique items, would bring a great element to the whole event

I love to see the Steam Punks and the Victorians walking about and with out them, the event could just be one big black hole

I know whitby can be hard to get a hotel but even this goth weeked we just had which was so busy, there was still rooms free

I think i need to get details of every hotel and guest house to make things work

Enter The Asylum

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:28 am

Welcome all the new members, nice to see this place taking off so swiftly. Hello Jon good to see you here too.

It certainly looks as though an injection of steaminess into April's Whitby is a popular idea so I think we have to go for it. Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Enter The Asylum Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:34 am

I think to have a group of stall in one place and night event based around steam punk will give people a change to understand more of what its about and help grom the culture also with it being away from the centre and the other madness its should avaoid stress (lol)

please email me all you ideas asap and i can work on it

jon

Enter The Asylum

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Mimsy Beaucoup Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:17 pm

From my recollection, the rifle club is a bit 'dingy' and it was very quiet the year they did have stalls. BUT if it was an actual centre for steampunk then it would at least entice a crowd.

I too used to be a trader at WGW and the last time I traded I believe the stalls were about £100 a day (that was the spa but I think it is the same in the leisure centre). This freezes out little sellers and those who make interesting items- but aren't a business that can afford to spend that much on a stall- thus cheaper stalls would perhaps entice some talented people.

Would this also be the arena for possible bands? I know the comedy/ burlesque night started here and then moved away- I never went to it personally so I do not know what it is like as an entertainment venue.

Whitby is not too bad for accommodation, you do need to book very far in advance though and some places will not allow short stay- if you are like me and have two dogs, you need to book a year in advance if you want to find somewhere to bring them.

If this came about I would be looking for a fri and sat night stay without the dogs- it is hard to track a B and B down but it can be done!

Last edited by Lady Mimsy Beaucoup on Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lady Mimsy Beaucoup
Lady Mimsy Beaucoup

Back to top Go down

Post  Grumfoss Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:35 pm

[quote
Greetings Grumfoss! No the Easter WGW is in additional to the (potential?) Asylum event in April.

WGW does get very busy and it's advisable that if you wish to attend in April you book your accomodation now.[/quote]

Thanks for clearing that up for me Sir Ninian. I hope that it goes well I will have to speak to the good lady wife to see if we can go. Wink

(EDIT: Major I would like to register my interest in any Easter meet in Lincoln, we would love to attend and to give any help that you require. - Grum)

Last edited by Grumfoss on Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grumfoss
Grumfoss
Admin

http://royaldirigiblecorps.yolasite.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:39 pm

I have just confirmed our interest in working with the folks up at Whitby and I will post further details as soon as possible.

I have also spon with The Lawns today about Easter in Lincoln. We are keen to go ahead but have a minor hurdle re charges to sort out before we confirm.

Last edited by Admin on Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Emilly Ladybird Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:28 pm

Re accomodation etc - may I recomend the surrounding area? Lyssa and I had a stunning b+b only 3 miles away in Fylingthorpe - read all about it on my blog Wink www.sparklyjem.blogspot.com
Ooh and Robins Hoods Bay has a Victorian weekend in December! I know it's not quite the same as being actually in Whitby but you can always get a taxi back if you want a drinky...
splashy splashy!
Emilly Ladybird
Emilly Ladybird

Back to top Go down

Post  Professor Gaslight Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:43 pm

I think due to the increasing popularity in all things steampunk, an adjoining venue would be a great idea. Myself and the good lady will be attending whatever format the April event takes.
Major, I'm with Grumfoss with regard to the Lincoln event, I would like to register our interest and help in any way I can.
Professor Gaslight
Professor Gaslight

Back to top Go down

Whitby Gothic Weekend Empty rifle club

Post  Enter The Asylum Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:05 am

the rifle club has been used twice for traders

once upstairs and once down stairs

the up stairs is nice as its the bar and lounge, the down stairs is dark and grotty

so the plan is a dungeon art expo in the down stair rooms as he can dress then out and light the areas

and up stairs small very cheap pitches so steam punk and victorian sellers

as each seller will have to pack down each night , we dont want large retail shops in there, so this space is for people than normally cant afford to pay the £100 to £150 to trade

i do need an idea of trade space needed, for example can some of you work of a pub table 3 foot approx round

(i have heard the news that a new hotel is due to open soon will find out when and where)

Enter The Asylum

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt Chard Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:58 am

Greeting to friends old and new!

Tinker as I mentioned in our correspondence yesterday Sharon and Myself would definitely be up for running a second Steampunk stall at the rifle club in addition to our main Harlots and Angels Stand at the met.

I'd , in reference to Jon's post about size, probably need at least a couple of 4/5 ft rails for waistcoats, hats and Victorian/Steampunk dresses. I realise this is detail coming in at a very early stage of planning, but an early heads up on sizing issues would be pretty useful. Also a chance to bring in some more interesting traders at a smaller price. As Whitby seems to be somewhat blighted by generic import stuff at the moment.

I think that it would be great to inject some more variety and colour (brass and tan of course Wink ) and as we discussed last weekend, WGW is itself becoming a larger entity with fringe events beginning to take a level precedence (not to mention attendance over the 'main' event itself).

As for a covert invasion of a "goth festival", a broad and eclectic church is always a much more fun place to be. Brass and Black have no reason to fear each other Very Happy

Chard

Capt Chard

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:48 am

Well it looks like this is all green lighted.

We think we have space for around 10 traders. The spaces should be specifically steampunk or victorian with an emphasis on hand makers. The price is likley to be £50 so around half the cost of a standard Whitby stall. Spaces roughly 6' with potential for a corner pitch if required or a layout to suit a couple of 4'-5' rails. Very Happy We are looking at best ways to promote and advertise the venue to ensure lots of customers passing through.

At the same time there will be a bar/lounge area as a "drop in" focus venue for Steampunks. The perfect place to meet up with friends.

As Jon says there are also plans for a dungeon art exhibition in the "dingy" downstairs rooms. All of the above is planned for the pleasant carpetted rooms upstairs.

Finally we have the venue to put on two evening gigs (Friday and Saturday) Initial thoughts are for a multi act show (comedy and music hall style) for Friday and a band on Saturday. The aim is to try and keep it very affordable (around £5 per ticket) and to have them on sale in advance since the venues capacity is only around 100-125.

Since this would be a prominent feature of the West Cliff complex we hope it can provide a fine example of the steampunk scene, a focus for us and a chance for people to investigate the community we all love.

Comments, suggestions or requests for stalls?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Ruff-Diamond Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:31 am

good news..I can imagine a fair few smaller retired retailers being persuaded to come out of hiding for this
Lady Ruff-Diamond
Lady Ruff-Diamond

http://www.gothichange.com/gothic-clothing

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Mimsy Beaucoup Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:35 am

I wonder if a steamy bring and make and buy stall would be there too? I loved the fact that you could make a small number of items for sale at the bring and buy at The Asylum!

On another note, I have never been to the upstairs of the rifle club- really positive to hear that it is a better trading area than downstairs Smile

Looks like I ma going to have to look for a B and B now Smile
Lady Mimsy Beaucoup
Lady Mimsy Beaucoup

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next